While it may be tempting to gobble a doughnut in between conference calls, sugary snacks give you only a short burst of energy and then cause your system to crash quickly into a tired slump. Food is fuel for the body and it is imperative that you ingest healthy snacks that provide the energy your body needs to function at peak levels throughout the day.
It takes only seconds to throw a handful of nuts into a plastic bag on your way to work in the morning. Yet this snack food ranks as one of the most healthful fuel sources for your body. Here are some of the most nutritious nuts you can choose to munch on for snack time:
- Walnuts – contain omega-3 for a healthy heart
- Almonds – contain vitamin E to protect against free radicals
- Pistachios – contain lutein and zeaxanthin for improved vision
All fruits are nutritious but some have an extremely high sugar content, which is bad for men and women on a strict diet. Here are a few fruits that will not pack on the pounds while you snack:
- Berries – contain antioxidants and vitamins for vitality and protection against free radicals
- Figs – contain fiber for a healthy heart and good digestion
- Peaches – contain vitamin C for peak immune system function
Vegetables pack a powerful and healthy punch when they are eaten uncooked. Some veggies are easier than others to carry around as snack foods. Here’s a quick list:
- Baby carrots – contain fiber and iron for good digestion and healthy blood
- Snap peas – contain vitamin K which aids in calcium absorption and blood clotting
- Cherry tomatoes – contain lycopene for cancer risk reduction and heart health
Selecting healthy and convenient snacks is a terrific way to give your body the fuel it needs to make it through the day with both energy and vitality.